Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions About Permanent Residence Application

The term “PR” stands for the legal status that enables a person to live permanently in Singapore. If the permanent resident desires to leave Singapore and come back, a Re-Entry Permit is required.

You are entitled to a variety of benefits if you are a Singapore PR. PRs enjoy several benefits, including the convenience of seeking employment in Singapore without having to reapply for work permits or visas, enjoy the convenience of leaving and entering the country without having to apply for visas, get priority right after citizens in terms of public schooling for your children, obtain long-stay visas for your parents, enjoy the financial and tax benefits provided by Singapore’s Central Provident Fund (CPF), and PRs also get a higher priority and success when applying for various loans through the government.

ICA carefully considers and reviews all PR applications. PR applications typically take 6 months to process, assuming all required documents are submitted. Some applications may take longer to process, depending on the complexity of the case.

No, there is no limit to the number of times you can apply for PR.


You may apply for both the Long-Term Visit Pass and Permanent Residence concurrently.

You can submit an application for ICA’s consideration after you have been working here on an Employment or S Pass for some time.

A Singapore PR can be a self-employed person. Please note that PR status does not exempt an individual from registration or any other conditions required under the respective professions for which professional registration to practise in Singapore is a prerequisite (e.g. medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, architecture, law, etc.).

You may apply for permanent residence again by submitting a fresh PR application for ICA’s consideration.

You can re-apply in future after renunciation of your PR status. Your PR application will be considered on its own merits under the prevailing conditions at that time. You will also need to reinstate your CPF contributions (with interest) that had been withdrawn, if applicable.

You may travel out of Singapore while waiting for the result of your PR application. If the application is approved, you (the applicant) must return to Singapore for the completion of formalities.

You may sponsor your children for Singapore citizenship or permanent residence if they are unmarried and below 21 years old, and were born within the context of a legal marriage or have been legally adopted.

You can sponsor your parent(s) only if you are a Singapore citizen.

ICA does not share information on the assessment of applications.

Under the Enlistment Act, all male Singapore citizens and Permanent Residents, unless exempted are required to serve NS. Main applicants who are granted PR status under the Professionals/Technical Personnel and Skilled Workers scheme or the Investor scheme are exempted from NS. Male applicants who are granted PR status as a Foreign Student or under their parents’ sponsorship are required to register for NS upon reaching 16 ½ years old and will be scheduled for enlistment at the earliest opportunity upon reaching 18 years old. MINDEF allows students to attain educational qualifications up to the ‘A’ Levels certificate, the polytechnic diploma or an equivalent before they are required to serve NS. They are enlisted at the earliest opportunity when they have finished such courses, or after turning 18, whichever is later. MINDEF does not grant deferment for university studies, regardless of whether such studies have begun.

Males who are granted Singapore PR, and who were previously Singapore citizens or Singapore Permanent Residents, are liable to be called up for NS regardless of the scheme under which their PR status was granted.

Singapore PRs are eligible to apply for Singapore citizenship 2 years after being granted PR status.

The main applicant may write in to inform ICA of the change of circumstances. ICA will inform the applicant once a decision has been made.

The purpose of the Long-Term Visit Pass (LTVP) is to regulate the stay of eligible foreigners for social purpose for a specified period.  On the other hand, the Singapore PR status allows the person to reside in Singapore permanently.

A PR will be allowed to stay indefinitely in Singapore if he/she does not travel out of Singapore.

If a PR intends to travel out of Singapore, he/she will require a valid Re-Entry Permit (REP) which is due for renewal every 5 years, or he/she will lose the PR status. You may log on to the e-Service using your Singpass to check on the validity of your REP before travelling out of Singapore.

While your Re-Entry Permit (REP) may be sponsored by your spouse, your renewal of REP will be assessed on your own merits if you are divorced or under-going divorce.

Frequently Asked Questions About Citizenship Application

A Singapore citizen may obtain Permanent Residency (PR) of another country. However, a Singapore citizen aged 21 years and above is not allowed to hold dual citizenship.

You may add on your child’s Singapore Citizenship and apply for other facilities concurrently and ICA will process them accordingly. One facility will not affect the other. However, each facility will be processed according to the prevailing guidelines.

You have to produce an authorisation letter from the person concerned explaining the reasons for the application and his/her original documents such as identity card, passport and birth certificate.

Singapore citizens hold a pink Identity Card (IC) while permanent residents of Singapore holds a blue Identity Card (IC).

Singapore citizenship applications are typically processed in 12 months. The general processing time for children born overseas to Singapore citizens is 2 months from receipt of complete documents. ICA will process your application once all required documents are received. Depending on the complexity of the case, some applications may take longer to process.

All applications for Singapore citizenship are carefully considered and reviewed by ICA. If there are additional or updated information or documents since your last application, you may consider submitting an appeal.

Please note that the outcome of the application will remain the same if there are no changes to your circumstances, and if the same information or documents are submitted.

You will need to hold your Singapore PR status for at least 2 years.

The collection date of your pink Identity Card (also known as NRIC) will be made known to you during Singapore citizenship registration.

A Singapore citizen who has been away from Singapore for a continuous period of 10 years or more without a valid Singapore passport may be deprived of her/his Singapore citizenship.

You are advised to have a valid Singapore travel document if you wish to remain outside of Singapore for more than 10 years.

A Singapore citizen can only renounce his/her Singapore citizenship if he/she:

  1. Is aged 21 and above
  2. Is of sound mind
  3. Is also or is about to become a citizen of another country.

The Government may reject the renunciation of Singapore citizenship by a male citizen if he has enjoyed citizenship privileges, including possession or use of the Singapore passport, and has outstanding National Service (NS) obligations.

As such, if you meet the criteria for renunciation, you may submit an application to renounce your Singapore citizenship.

You are able to continue to retain your Singapore Citizenship as a dual citizen until the age of 21. You will then be required to show proof of renunciations of your foreign citizenship(s) if you wish to retain Singapore citizenship.

Please note that the Singapore government does not allow its adult citizens to hold dual citizenship. Thus, once you have attained the citizenship of another country, you are to renounce your Singapore citizenship as soon as possible.

At the time of renunciation of Singapore citizenship you have acknowledged that once your declaration of renunciation is registered, you ceased to be a citizen of Singapore and there is no provision for reinstatement. A person who has renounced Singapore citizenship is no longer a Singapore citizen.

Once your declaration of renunciation is registered, you cease to be a citizen of Singapore and there is no provision for reinstatement.

You may migrate overseas after you have acquired Singapore citizenship. However, do note that Singapore does not allow its adult citizens to hold another country’s citizenship.

You are eligible to apply for Singapore citizenship if you are a PR and an Aged Parent of a Singapore citizen.

As part of the enhanced Singapore citizenship application process, there is no longer a need to book an appointment for the interview. ICA will liaise with you through email should they need additional information.

All passports must have a 6 months’ validity before submitting the application. If the application has been submitted, applicant may provide the latest travel document information by requesting for a transfer of REP online.

Once you have made payment, you will not be able to make any changes to your submitted application. If there are changes to information, please prepare an explanation letter and supporting documents.

Yes, you can still apply for Singapore Citizenship. 

Yes, you can apply for Singapore citizenship on your own merits. However, if you are not employed, you can consider applying for citizenship under your spouse’s sponsorship provided your spouse is a Singapore Citizen or applying for Singapore Citizenship.